April 11, 2014

Yummy, Healthy Quiche Pie!

Sometimes it feels like we get into a rut with our eating around here. We are all about healthy foods but it can be a little challenging to come up with new things to try. I had been in a baking mood the other morning and decided to try a quiche made with a regular pie crust. It was so good! Huge hit with the kids and not too hard to make so definitely a win/win. Thought it would be fun to share with you all in case you need some new recipe ideas as well.

I started out with a basic pie crust recipe (from my Martha White cookbook) and tweaked it just a little.
1 cup flour (I used sprouted spelt but any kind will probably work....just don't use self-rising)
1/2 tsp salt (I use sea salt since it's really good for you!)
1/3 cup butter (the recipe actually called for shortening but I like using butter instead...and I only had 1/4 cup the first time I made it but it was fine)
3-4 Tblspoons cold water (I ended up having to add more than that)
Heat oven to 400 while making the crust. Start off with flour and salt and mix well. Use a grater to add the butter, it's easier if you do about half at first and blend in, then the rest. You can use a fork or just your hand to mix until the flour resembles small peas. Then gradually add the water until the dough begins to come together and form a ball. Roll out on a floured surface until large enough to cover pie pan then place over rolling pin to move. I like to pre-bake it 1 or 2 minutes before pouring in the filling.

Filling: I used about 6 eggs with a little bit of milk added to make them fluffy. (salt and pepper to taste) After pouring them into the crust I added some chopped up baby spinach, some chopped onion, scrambled sausage (cooked), and grated cheese on top. Back in the oven to cook about 15-20 minutes or until the eggs look done.

That's it!! Super easy and so delicious too. I usually just throw things together without an actual recipe so if you have any questions about amounts then let me know in the comments. Here are a few pictures of the work in progress (forgot to take some while making the crust). Hope you enjoy it!



 
Tyra


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment when you stop by! We would love hearing from you!