June 16, 2011

Easy Shortcake Recipe


If you're like us you've probably been indulging in yummy, fresh strawberries for the past few months. Since we only eat organic they're a little more challenging to find, but we've managed to get our fair share that's for sure! :) Last year I found this quick, easy recipe for shortcake and it went perfect with the fresh berries and homemade whipped cream we had on hand. (click here for that recipe!) I haven't made any in awhile and the past couple of days it's sounded so good so that's what we'll be having in the morning for breakfast I think. Thought I'd just share the recipe with you all while I was at it! Hope you enjoy......
                     
                Sour Cream Drop Shortcake
2 cups flour (it calls for self-rising but I just add in baking powder and salt to my organic, unbleached)
3 tblsp sugar (or whatever sweetener you use)
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted (make sure you let it completely cool or it will harden when you mix it with the other ingredients)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease large cookie sheet. Combine flour and sugar; mix well. In small bowl, combine milk, sour cream, and butter;blend well. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Drop dough  by heaping large spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. (can serve warm or cool)

Split shortcakes (or leave them whole, crumble them up...they're good however!), then fill and top with whipped cream and berries. Fantastic!! :)



(recipe courtesy of Martha White....I love her cookbook that I have!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment when you stop by! We would love hearing from you!