September 11, 2011

On This Day....

I'm sure there have been many things that have occurred on the twenty-nine different September eleventh days I've had in my lifetime. Some that I simply can't recall and some that will always be remembered vividly.

Ten years ago today I was a nineteen year old young lady who still lived at home with my parents. I was dating a young man who would eventually become my husband and he was hours away at college when we first heard the horrible news that our country had been attacked. I can't say that everything about that day is totally clear in my memory but I do know that there was shock, fear, and disbelief as we realized what had happened. I waited anxiously to be able to talk to Blake and meanwhile just watched the news while crying and praying with my family.

Life did go on for us after that day and I guess to be honest in some ways it was easy to forget the seriousness of it rather quickly since the loss didn't directly affect our daily lives. It wasn't that I didn't grieve for what this meant to our nation or worry what it might mean for our future, but I also probably didn't allow it to cause me to turn to God like I could or should have after the initial shock had worn off.

The following years have brought many changes and experiences on this date which have sometimes taken precedence over the anniversary of what happened on that day in 2001. But as we spent the morning here at home, watching the memorial service, hearing names of those that were lost read, and talking to the kids about something that happened before they were even born......we remembered. Not only the events that took place on this morning ten years ago, but also how much we still need to seek the Lord for mercy and grace. In our own family. And for our nation. May God help us to never forget how important that is.

So on this day in 2011 I am more thankful than I can say for freedom, family, friends, faithfulness, and the footsteps of our baby girl as she finally let go and walked all around the house. There are good memories mixed in with those that are sad and I want to remember that there's a purpose for both. Many verses came to mind as we thought and read today, but I'll just share a couple of them with you. Although they are familiar the words still touch my heart every time I hear them.

If my people, which are called by My Name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.......a time to born, and a time to die......a time to weep, and a time to laugh......a time of war, and a time of peace. (Ecclesiates 3)

May God grant us all His perfect peace tonight as we rest in the assurance that He has everything under control. Today, this day 10 years ago, and however many more "this days" we have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment when you stop by! We would love hearing from you!